Wednesday 11 March 2015

On encounters, bees and pictures

As I was walking through the alleys of the Friedrichswerder cemetery, I saw a beautiful statue and stopped to take a picture. I was looking for the right angle, there was a bed of blooming crocuses on the ground that would look really nice together with the sculpture.

Crocuses in Friedrichswerder cemetery, March 2015 © Emmanuelle Chaze

An elderly man was walking nearby, and I could see him stopping and turning around to look at me. As I was taking my picture, I felt uneasy being there, thinking that maybe I offended someone who was here to mourn in peace and this person felt hurt by the fact that I was leisurely taking pictures in such a place. But no, when I turned around he was all smiles. We began chatting, he just wanted to tell me that he too used to take a lot of pictures around cemeteries, and that it was such a rich place in terms of sculptures and history. We had a lovely exchange before he left, and I was very happy about this encounter.

Crocuses in Friedrichswerder cemetery, March 2015 © Emmanuelle Chaze

I resumed my "find the perfect frame for your picture" quest. At this moment, it dawned on me that there was also a very deep sound resonating around me. Like a buzzing. Or a bee, to which I'm allergic. I decided to ignore it and kept looking for my perfect spot, found it, took a couple of pictures. But this buzzing wouldn't stop. Looking at my feet, in the middle of the crocuses bed, I realized I was standing amongst a scattered beehive. They too must have liked pictures, as not one of them bothered me while I was trespassing their space.

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely tale rich with metaphor. Your blog shows us that cemeteries are not merely places of death and loss, nor need they be spooky or scary. They are places of life too.

    ReplyDelete